Saturday, February 18, 2012

Mac OSX Mountain Lion and Windows 8

Sorry if anyone (of the few people that read this) is annoyed by a third post today, but I figured I'd comment on the newly announced version of Apple Inc.'s popular Mac OSX.
In line with the big cats tradition, Apple announced Mountain Lion recently. I'm not a Mac user, but I'm an Apple fan, and that may continue, even as I shop for a new computer.
More observant, or interested, individuals will notice the features list for Mountain Lion, which seems to be a fairly good idea. One thing, however, has me worried. It's that "Inspired by iPad." line. Now, I'm no hater of tablets, but this trend of tablet-inspired operating systems is alarming many desktop users. For those unfamiliar, I'm referring to Windows 8, which uses the Metro UI introduced by Windows Phone 7. Lance Whitney, a blogger for CNET reports on both the complaints and Microsoft's response.
Now, I'm not complaining about this new trend, but a user interface designed for tablets doesn't seem naturally at home when you're using a mouse and keyboard. That being said, given the tendency of Apple to release new operating systems around "back to school" time, I may very well decide to stick to Windows, unlike many college students. Don't get me wrong, I'm still an Apple fan, and the high-end Macs are easily some of the best bang for your buck (unless you're a real man and build your own computer), but I had a hard enough of a time adapting to the Aero UI present in Windows Vista and 7, so Metro will probably take me a while to become acquainted with, and making an OS leap in the middle of a big UI shift is probably not going to sit well with my Windows XP loving self.

Maybe some of you already previewing Windows 8 or some of the Mountain Lion software could chip in your opinions for me?

No comments:

Post a Comment